Tuesday, January 5, 2010

List of Top 10 Extras to Take Bush Walking

It does seem strange in a sense to be posting this: usually as anyone who knows me can vouch, being an advocate of lightweight walking, I'm more often telling people to leave stuff out of their packs! I still believe most walkers pack too much, and maybe it's just me getting older, but seems to me walking is so much more enjoyable when you're not lugging a heavy pack around the bush.

I also subscribe to the "multi use" principle: everything you take should ideally have more than one use. E.g.
walking poles are great. They take the strain off your knees, you can use them to set up a quick shelter with your tarp, I can use them to fashion a makeshift splint, they help you keep your balance on steep rocky terrain and crossing rivers, etc etc. Very useful items indeed!

(Picture: Andy guiding at JB Plain, 2008)
Even so I also subscribe to the "one luxury" principle: get your pack weight down, then put in one little luxury for you to look forward to on your walk: pillow, book, caffeine, whiskey, whatever but just that one little luxury amongst your otherwise monk-like austerity can make your life on the trail that much more enjoyable, especially on a multi day hike.

And so to my list. This is my list for walking, it differs in winter for back country trips on skis and snowshoes but here it is.

All these thingsI believe are very useful: perhaps you don't need them all, perhaps several can be packed in the designated group kit (if you're walking in a group) which is a good idea. Anyway here it is:

1.
Duct tape
2.
Portable mobile phone charger
3.
Multi tool knife
4.
Cable ties
5.
Flint & striker
6.
Elastoplast
7.
Walking poles
8.
Lightweight tarp
9.
Bivvy bag
10.
Caffeine

Did I miss any of your favourites?

What's your "must take" list?

Post a comment or drop me a line | enquiries@soulfree.com.au

Happy trails!

Soulfree Adventures | Australian Walking Holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Walking guide, snowshoe guide, backcountry guide, skier, tour operator, business owner, photographer, searcher